Pepper Beef Steak (Kerala Style)
- Leave a Comment
In this recipe, traditional Kerala cooking style meets continental cooking. I have tried to infuse some much needed flavor into this pepper beef steak without turning it into a typical Indian dish.
This dish is definitely experimental, its simple and uncomplicated preparation leaves it open to several possibilities.
- Turmeric – 1 Pinch
- Coriander Power – 1/4 Tea Spoon
- Garam Masala – 1/4 Tea Spoon
- Chopped Ginger – 1/4 Tea Spoon
- Chopped Garlic – 1/4 Tea Spoon
- Lemon Juice – 1 Tea Spoon
- Pepper Powder – 1/2 Tea Spoon
- Curd – 1/2 Tea Spoon
- Beef Fillet – 120 Grams
- Butter – 10-15 Grams
- Curry Leaves – 1 Stem
- Sliced Onion & Tomato – 1/4 Cup (optional)
- Water – 1/2 Cup
- Create a nice thick marinate by mixing Turmeric, Coriander powder, Garam masala, chopped ginger and garlic, pepper powder, salt, lemon juice and curd.
- Apply a thick layer of the mixture on the fillet and let it rest for atleast 15 mins. You want the lemon juice and the pepper to sink into the fillet.
- Heat a pan on medium flame and drop some butter and see it sizzle. To bring in the Kerala flavor, add some Curry leaves . This is the highlight of the dish and it transforms a Continental Steak into something very Kerala. Add water and close it with a lid. This process softens the fillet
- Let the fillet now cook on low flame for about 8 to 10 mins on either side. Ensure that the lid remains closed through the cooking, this seals the moisture and keeps the fillet soft and tender
- When the steak is golden brown on either side, plate it. Bring in Sliced onions, Green Chillies and Tomatoes to add color to your dish.
By Jayan Varghese