Grilled Portobello Mushrooms
30 Minutes / 2 - 3 Servings / / Print /
- Leave a Comment
A perfectly grilled portobello mushrooms with some melted cheese on top is a perfect steak for vegetarians.
- Portobello Mushrooms – 6 – 8
- Onion – 1
- Chopped Green Chilies – 3 Tsp
- Tomato – 2
- Grated Mozzarella Cheese – 1 Cup
- Chilli Powder – 1 Tsp
- Ginger paste – ½ Tsp
- Water – ½ Cup
- Salt – To Taste
- Rinse the mushrooms in water. I know there are few of my readers who may not like washing mushrooms in water and prefer to brush it lightly. But I would still suggest to rinse the mushroom in water as it would prevent over cooking or burning , while you place it on the hot grill.
- Mix chilli powder, ginger and salt in half a cup of water.
- Dip the mushrooms in this mixture. When taking the mushrooms out ensure you turn it upside down so that some of the watery mixture stays in the gills of mushroom.
- Slice onion and tomatoes into thin circular slices.
- Remove the inner few rings of sliced onion to create a cavity and insert the stem of mushroom into it , so that onion snugly fits under the mushroom umbrella.
- Now add grated cheese evenly over the onion.
- Place few pieces of green chillies over the grated cheese.
- Place tomato slices over it and gently press it so that the mixture stays together.
- Brush some butter or olive oil on the grill
- Now place this stuffed mushrooms over the barbeque for 10 – 15 minutes or as here in South Africa we call BRAI … Remember to keep it upside down ,like the way I have show in the picture. It will help retain all flavors in it .Keep a close watch to ensure that the mushrooms do not get burnt. When you see the cheese between the layers are melted and oozing out ..take it out from the grill and serve it hot …
- If you not barbeque/BRAI, you may grill it in the oven which is preheated oven or grill it in a Tava on low flame for 15- 20 minutes.
- If you do not like stems of the mushrooms while grilling, remove them. You can use it for any other recipe or can wrap it in a foil along with other ingredients in recipe and place it on the grill.